Missions Ministry Major - Nursing Concentration
The Missions Ministry Major-Nursing Concentration provides a major in Missions from Appalachian Bible College and a certificate in Licensed Practical Nursing from New River Community and Technical College. Along with the student's foundational major in Bible/Theology, the Missions-Nursing program is excellent preparation for effective Christian ministry.
Degree & Certificate Earned
- Upon graduating from ABC, the student earns a double major with a B.A. degree in Bible/Theology and Missions (2 majors).
- Upon completion of the LPN program at New River, the student earns a Certificate in Practical Nursing from New River. Upon earning a Certificate in Practical Nursing the student is eligible to take the NCLEX-PN. This program can serve as a stepping stone for RN programs.
Application & Enrollment
- The student must apply and be accepted to ABC and to the New River LPN program.
- Both ABC and New River have their own admissions requirements and process.
- The Freshman and Sophomore years will be spent at ABC taking a variety of Bible/Theology and General Education courses and fulfilling the pre-requisites for the LPN program at New River Community and Technical College (New River). The student spends 3 semesters (Fall, Spring & Summer) of their Junior year attending the LPN program at New River. The student's senior year is back at ABC studying the areas of Bible/Theology and Missions.
- The total time extent of these programs is 9 semesters over 4 years: 6 semesters at ABC and 3 at New River.
- The average course load per semester at ABC is approximately 19 hours (see downloadable course schedule below).
- The average course load per semester at New River is 16 hours (see downloadable course schedule below). Missions: Nursing Course Schedule.
Room, Board, & Student Life
- While attending the LPN program at New River students may stay in the ABC residence halls and eat in the ABC dining hall.
- While attending New River students are expected to meet certain responsibilities concerning ABC's campus activities.
- During the six semesters at ABC the student is required to pay normal Tuition, Room & Board.
- During the student's semesters enrolled at New River, the student is responsible to the pay Tuition and Fees set by New River and Room and Board costs at ABC.
- Students enrolled in the LPN at New River are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the New River campus (15 minutes from ABC).
- Students completing their clinicals are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from their assignment (distances vary by hospital).